The Learning Basket inspires parents to be their children’s first and best teachers. We coach parents to be hands-on in their children’s development and education through our parent education workshops on early childhood development, preschool homeschool, positive discipline and reading.
For our schedule and registration forms, click here.
We have also given seminars and workshops in children centers, corporate events, and mom-friendly venues. Preschool teachers also seek us out. Feel free to contact us at mariel (at) thelearningbasket (dot) com to work with us in bringing our advocacies to your school, company or event venue.
We look forward to connecting with like-minded parents in any one of our following parenting events!
Positive Discipline for Toddlers and Preschoolers
We love our kids and yet we always find ourselves in a dilemma over how we should discipline them. Should we spank them? Should we just let them be because “kids will always be kids”?
In this workshop, a Certified Positive Discipline Parent Educator will help you learn about the principles of positive discipline as well as concrete strategies in being firm yet respectful in how we communicate with our children.
- Find out why children “misbehave”
- Understand why we react to “misbehavior” — and why that word is in quotes!
- Discover long-term solutions to usual boiling points
You Are Your Child’s First and Best Teacher
Parents will always be their children’s first and best teacher. In this workshop for parents of children ages 0 to 3, we talk about:
- The mindset of being your child’s first and best teacher
- The basics of early childhood development and how best you can support your child
- Practical tips and examples of appropriate activities and toys for each developmental stage
Starting Your Preschool Homeschool
We advocate keeping preschoolers at home to learn with their parents during their early years. If you are feeling a tug in your heart to delay sending your child to school, expect to:
- Learn about the what and why of homeschooling
- Discover your heart for homeschooling
- Learn about your different options in the Philippines
- Hear about practical tips and information
- Take your first steps toward preschool homeschool
Planning Your Literature-Based Preschool Homeschool
We love using books to jumpstart learning, explore the world, and ignite the fire of our children’s curiosity. This three-hour workshop is a hands-on event for those who want to learn how to do it too. We guide participants on:
- How to choose books
- How to select topics from a book
- How to plan a complete unit study.
This is a hands-on workshop with output you can actually use as soon as you get home.
Parents are their children’s first and best teacher, and their yaya is their assistant. In this workshop, we teach nannies things that are sometimes better to hear from somebody other than one’s employers.
- A yaya’s special role in a child’s life
- How to understand a child’s actions and not think that he is “naughty”
- How to respond to one’s alaga
- Why TV and tablets are not good for children below three years old
- Why and how to play with one’s alaga, depending on age
Cultivating a Love of Learning at Home
Choosing a school and getting children through their lessons is just half the battle that parents face in their children’s education. The challenge for parents is how to make the most of their children’s schooling. The answer lies in the attitude that they have about learning. Choosing to encourage and cultivate a love of learning in children starts in one’s own home. In this seminar for parents of school-aged children, we talk about:
- The importance of being involved in your children’s schooling
- The importance of reading in fostering a lifelong love of learning
- The different ways to create a stimulating environment at home to support and expand what is being learned at school
- Protecting children from school burn out
Love for reading is one of the best gifts that we can give to our children. In this seminar for parents of children ages 0 to 6, we talk about:
- The importance of reading to your child everyday
- How to choose great books for every age
- The oh-so-many exciting ways to enjoy books
- How to make reading a part of your everyday
To register for any of our parent education workshops, click here.